The British Sunday Times disclosed yesterday that a British committed a suicidal operation in Beiji area to become the first British to detonate himself in a vehicle carrying eight tons of explosives in a Shiite gathering that resulted in killing tens, including a senior military commander.
It added that the name of the terrorist was Kabeer Ahmed, nickname Abu Sumaiya al-Baritani. He had three children in Derby, England.
The 32-year-old, who went by the name of Abu Sumayyah, was described as a “nice guy” by neighbours, who questioned how he been radicalised. Aleem Sheid, 33, who lives on the same street as Ahmed’s family, said: “It’s a sad day to hear this news, about this young man that has committed this act in Iraq. It makes me feel very upset to hear a young man with a young family has been brainwashed and done this. He was a nice guy.
“I socialised with him, we would talk about work, life, that sort of thing. We had certain family issues that were similar, like his mum and dad were separated like mine. Nobody’s born bad, it’s people around you that make you behave bad and push you down a certain way. The million-pound question is where did he get radicalised? I don’t know – it’s the people who were around him.”
The paper reported that Ahmed left Britain last year leaving his wife and children to join Jund ala-Sham in Syria, and then he joined Da'ish (ISIL) terrorist organization.
It added that Ahmed disclosed in a press interview last summer that he aspires to be a martyr.
The British foreign office announced its knowledge of this case, but it "studying these reports".
Ahmed is the second British who performed suicidal operation. The first was Abdul Waheed Majeed, 41, who detonated himself in a vehicle against a prison in Aleppo, Syria.
Salahal-din police sources reported, on 7 October, 2014, that Beiji suicidal operation resulted in 14 killings, including the commander of federal police in the province.
Da'ish organization has hundreds of Arabs and foreigners, some of them with Arab ancestry.
/129
The 32-year-old, who went by the name of Abu Sumayyah, was described as a “nice guy” by neighbours, who questioned how he been radicalised. Aleem Sheid, 33, who lives on the same street as Ahmed’s family, said: “It’s a sad day to hear this news, about this young man that has committed this act in Iraq. It makes me feel very upset to hear a young man with a young family has been brainwashed and done this. He was a nice guy.
“I socialised with him, we would talk about work, life, that sort of thing. We had certain family issues that were similar, like his mum and dad were separated like mine. Nobody’s born bad, it’s people around you that make you behave bad and push you down a certain way. The million-pound question is where did he get radicalised? I don’t know – it’s the people who were around him.”